Thanks for stopping by! We weren't able to post to this blog while in Africa, but we did journal our experience. Please be sure to visit the North Metro Global site and click on the Zimbabwe tab. We will continue to post about personal experiences here, so be sure to check in from time to time.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Journey to Zimbabwe

On Saturday, April 3, we set off on a journey to a distant land. With teary eyes, we gave last hugs to family, threw on our backpacks and faced the thrilling reality that we were headed to Zimbabwe. We were excited and expectant, but also fighting fears, doubts and a massive sense of inadequacy.
It was in those first few hours that I laid it all down and asked God to begin a good work in me. I gave Him the trip, gave Him my fears, and began exchanging myself for Him. I boarded a plane with 14 teammates, certain that a refining, life-changing experience (and 26 hours of travel!) was ahead.
After our marathon flight from DC to Johannesburg, South Africa, we arrived weary, but still filled with expectation. It was in these airport waiting areas that pretense began to fall and bonds started to form.

While waiting for our flight on to Harare, we discovered Lindsay's amazing gift of massage. Oh, Lindsay, you do have a gift!
First animal encounter in Africa....
And when we finally arrived in Harare, tired and dazed, it was late in the night. Our weary group stepped into an airport where all of the lights were out. We stood by the luggage carousel feeling deeply grateful that we had arrive safely, and that all but one of our 25+ bags and 5 wheelchairs made it to Zimbabwe.We loaded cars and trucks and drove in the dark of night through pot-holed streets, anxious to catch a glimpse of Africa.

What we found when we arrived was a beautiful sight. Our accommodations FAR exceeded what we were expecting. They were downright DELUXE! We stayed in a large home with bunk beds, meeting space, and two bathrooms (and lots of massive spiders).
Tired from travel, we threw our sleeping bags over old, thin foamy mattresses. We opened the windows and were blessed by a cool, comforting breeze that would be our air conditioning. We closed our eyes, grateful, and filled with anticipation.
In just a few weeks, this home will become yet another Hands of Hope home for orphans.
Hymn
by Brooke Frasher

If to distant lands I scatter
If I sail to farthest seas
Would you find and firm and gather
'til I only dwell in Thee?
If I flee from greenest pastures
Would you leave to look for me?
Forfeit glory to come after
'Til I only dwell in Thee
If my heart has one ambition
If my soul one goal to seek
This my solitary vision
'til I only dwell in Thee
That I only dwell in Thee'
Til I only dwell in Thee

~Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment