Thanks for stopping by! We weren't able to post to this blog while in Africa, but we did journal our experience. Please be sure to visit the North Metro Global site and click on the Zimbabwe tab. We will continue to post about personal experiences here, so be sure to check in from time to time.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Why go?


Why a mission trip? Why go “From A to Z” (Atlanta to Zimbabwe)?

Atlanta is home. I am happy and safe here. I would be much more comfortable NOT asking friends and family for support money. I have a husband, a two year old, a busy part-time job, obligations, laundry, meals to cook, baths to give and errands to run. My to-do list is perpetually full. I am very comfortable with my family, my friends, my home, my food, and my daily busyness.

Zimbabwe I don’t know the language in Zimbabwe. I don’t know where I’ll sleep. I don’t know any of my teammates. I will have to raise $2,600, and I hate asking for money. The flight will be 20+ hours. The culture will be completely new and different. I am not sure if I’ll like the food. Will I get sick? There is a big list of painful sounding shots I’ll need. Malaria pills? What will I do there? How can I help? I don’t really have any special skill to offer. Who will I talk to? This will be emotional, hard and will likely challenge me to the core.

So, why go?

God’s answer:
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27

My answer:
Why not? There are orphans who need love, and I have some to give.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

As a family, we feel a burning passion for serving, praying for, loving on, and giving to the orphans and the poor of the world. I can certainly serve from home though. There are people all around us that need love. I can volunteer and send money to local and international organizations. I have a long list of reasons why I should stay in Atlanta, and a longer list of reasons that I should NOT go to Zimbabwe.

The thing is… God is calling me to go. He has given me a burning desire to serve the “least of these”. Serving is in my heart. I long to be the hands of feet of Christ to those in extreme poverty. I long to have to trust God 100%. I need to be changed. I am too comfortable. I need for my heart to be broken by what breaks the heart of God. My faith has grown strong, but I need to take a deeper step into what God is doing.

I have fears and doubts, but I also have faith, trust, excitement and anticipation for what God is going to do in me and through me. So, bring it on, God. I’m in.

The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me. Matthew 25:40

~Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. Excellent first post Rebecca! I got chills when I read "So bring it on, God. I'm in." Love it!

    I am so excited to not only be your team member for this trip, but also to co-author this blog with you. Looking forward to our next meeting this Sunday!

    In Him,
    Kar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I am a friend of a teammate that is on the Zimbabwe journey this April. Excellent blog, and I look forward to reading more as you progress. I am so excited and proud of you all!
    I just know my friend (as everyone) is going to grow so much from this experience, and she has so much spirit to give.

    "not always so".
    This is the secret of teaching.
    It may be so, but it is not always so.
    Without being caught by words or rules,
    without too many preconceived ideas, we actually do something,
    And in doing something, We Apply our Teaching.


    Amy

    ReplyDelete